“ WE WILL SERVE YOUR
BREAKFAST UNTIL 10.00 AM “
1. What does the notice mean?
A. You will have breakfast at 10. 00 am. C. The breakfast will be served at 10.00 am.
B. You will have breakfast till 10.am. D. The breakfast will be served after 10.00 am.
2. This kind of notice is found in … .
A. café C. hotel
B. hospital D. restauran
Read the text and answer questions 3 and 4.
3. What does Kartika do? She is a …
A. staff C. manager
B. journalist D. publisher
4. The text is written in order to …
A. congratulate Kartika on her success.
B. inform people about the best journalist.
C. tell people to congratulate Kartika.
D. invite people to come to the Moonlight publisher.
Read the text and answer questions 5 and 6.
5. Who just passed away?
A. Jack’s father.
B. Bram’s friend.
C. Nita’s father.
D. Writer’s father
6. “As you know Nita’s father is hospitalized.”
The underlined word refers to … .
A. Jack C. Bram
B. Reader D .Nita’s father
Read the following text to answer questions 7 and 8.
7. Where will the graduation party be held?
A. At Osis room.
B. On Sudirman street.
C. At MTs Negeri Grogot Paser
D. At Art room Pramesti Hotel.
8. How long is the graduation party carried out?
A. 2 hours.
B. 3 hours.
C. 9 hours.
D 11 hours
Read the following text to answer questions 10 to 11.
9. What will be discussed in the meeting?
A. The customer’s order.
B. The customer’s needed.
C. The customer’s documents.
D. The customer’s complaints.
10. Who will attend the meeting?
A. Customers. C. Secretary
B. Secretary director and all managers. D. Director,
11. “… the meeting to discuss the customer’s complaints.” The underlined word means … .
A. to speak with C. to say something
B. to talk about D. to tell somebody
Read the text to answer questions 12 to 15.
12. The text tells us about … .
A. Scotland as a nation C. Highlanders in Scotland
B. Rare animals in Scotland D. The population in Scotland
13. Why is the Highland going to be the last of the great wilderness of Europe?
A. It’s a favorite place in Scotland. C. It’s home to rare birds and animals.
B. It’s a lonely, wild, and empty land. D. It ‘s high mountain and deep valley.
14. “… and deep valleys, clean rivers and cold lochs.” What does the underlined word mean?
A. Lake C. River
B. Valley D. Island
15. “…the young people who are born there have to move south to ….” The word underlined refers to … .
A. Europe C. Scotland
B. Highlands D. Great Britain
Read the following text to answer questions 16 to 19
16. What’s the text about?
A. The instructions to prepare crisp roast duck. C. What’s needed to make some food.
B. The steps to make a delicious food. D. How to make crisp roast duck.
17. What do we need to prick the skin of the duck?
A. Salt. C. Black pepper.
B. A sharp fork. D. Boiling-hot water.
18. What do we do to tighten the skin of the duck? Page 3
A. Rinse duck inside and outside. C. Prick skin all over with a sharp fork.
B. Pour boiling-hot water over duck. D. Cool the duck.
19. “Prick skin all over with a sharp fork.”. What is the meaning of the underlined word?
A. Make a small hole in something. C. Brush something on the surface.
B. Put something on the body. D. Cut something into small pieces.
Read the text and answer questions 20 to 22.
20. The queen ordered her servants to give the sheiks the same kind of food as that she got from them because she wanted ….
A. to entertain her guest C. to test the sheik’s food
B. to see the sheik’s reactions D. to repay the sheik’s kindness
21. What’s the moral value that you can learn from the story?
A. Don’t look at someone from the appearance.
B. We should make a party to decide something
C. Don’t trust easily to someone who has given a valuable thing.
D. We have to be careful in choosing the person to chase our life with.
22. “One by one she had discarded them,…” The word ‘them’ refers to … .
A. three sheiks B. servants C. suitors D. Arabians
Read the text and answer questions 23and 24.
23. The text is taken from the label of ……………… produced by Pedia Care.
A. antibacterial lotion C. fever medicine
C. cough syrup D. antibiotic
24. “Pedia Care Long Acting Cough, Liquid,….” The underlined word has the same meaning as….
A. fluid C. frozen
B. gas D. hard
Read the text to answer questions 25 to 27.
25. When does lunar eclipse happen?
A. In the morning. C. In the afternoon.
B. In the evening. D. In the midday.
26. What is the main idea of the third paragraph?
A. We can see the surface of the Moon from the Earth.
B. The Sun is the biggest planet in our solar system.
C. An eclipse never happens at New or Full Moon.
D. The Sun and the Moon rotate on the same line.
27. What will happen if the Moon’s shadow crosses the Earth’s surface? There will be …
A. a lunar eclipse C. solar eclipse
B. new moon D. full moon
Read the text to answer questions 28 to 30.
28. What is the text about?
A. The benefits of a hotel in Bali. C. a five star hotel in Bali.
B. A Visit to Bali. D. An advertisement of a hotel in Bali.
29. Where should you go if you want to get some meals?
A. At Sun loungers and pavilion terrace. C. At the Laguna Pool Terrace.
B. At a tropical oasis. D. At poolside.
30. “… and pavilion areas create ample space for …” The underlined word has same meaning with … .
A. big C. wide
B. large D. plenty
Text for no 31-32
December 22, 2008
Jln. Pandega Satya 203 Catur Tunggal Depok Sleman Yogyakarta Indonesia
I was so sad to hear the news of Jack’s passing five days ago.
I had the privilege of working with Jack for quite a few years. He was full of enthusiasm and good humor, and although that was many months ago now, I will always remember those happy times.
My sincerest commiserations are extended to you Karen. I realize that words are quite useless at this time, but I am sure that when the numbness has passed, you will be able to reflect and look back on the many positive features of Jack’s life. He made so many friends and his warmth and sense of humor brightened many a cold dark winter’s evening.
I know that he will be greatly missed by all that knew him.
31. Why did Chris write the letter? Because he wants to ….
- tell Karen that John was his teamwork C. ask information about Jack’s passing
- tell Karen about his experience with Jack D. show his sympathy on Jack’s passing to Karen
32. The following are Jack’s characteristic, except ….
A. cold C. humorous
B. friendly B. enthusiastic
33.”… his warmth and sense of humor brightened many a cold dark winter’s evening”.
Which word has the same meaning as the underlined word?
A. lift up C. chased away
B. cheered up D. blew away
34. When did Jack pass away?
A. Five days ago C. December 22nd 2008
B. Five days before 22nd Dec 2008 D. Five days later
35. The sender of the letter is…..
A Karen’s cousin C. Chris’ cousin
B. your cousin D. Chris and cousin
Text for no 36-39
36. The text mainly discusses …
A. the story about terrible a earthquake C. the writer’s experience with a big earthquake
B. the steps to avoid danger in your life D. the description of a beach in Meulaboh
37. What is the main idea of the third paragraph?
A. The writer saw many fish on the sand. C. The view of the beach was very exciting.
B. The writer liked to see the wave in the sea. D. Tsunami occurred and destroyed everything.
38. Everybody in the beach was panic because …
A. the sun rose brightly C. there was an earthquake
B. the beach was very enjoyable. D. there was an amazing view in the sea.
39. “We all seemed to be astonished by … .” The underlined word has the same meaning with …
A. panicked C. amazed
B. delighted D. pleased
Text for no 40-43
|Little Brother, Little SisterMaltreated by their stepmother, who was a witch, a little brother and sister fled into the woods. After running for a while,the brother said: ‘I’m so thirsty. Let’s find a spring and have a drink.’
As the young boy bent down to drink, his sister heard a voice which said: ‘Who drinks from me will turn into a fawn.’ it was the witch! Too late, the sister tried to prevent her brother from drinking. The young boy changed at once into a fawn. In tears, the little girl made a lead and collar out of her belt, and led the fawn off into the woods. There they found an abandoned cottage and lived together, far from any danger.
One day, however, the king was hunting in the woods, and he spied the fawn, which could not resist the urge to wander away from the cottage. The king and his hunters chased the fawn all the way back home. There, the king followed it into the cottage, where he found a young girl stroking the frightened animal. She was so beautiful and gentle that the king fell in love with her at once. He asked her to be his wife, and his words caused the maiden to cry for joy. When one of her tears fell on the fawn, it changed back to her brother once more. Their goodness and love had overcome the witch’s evil spell, and they lived safely and happily with the king for ever after.
Taken from 366 and More Fairy Tales, 1990
40. Why did the brother and sister flee into the woods? Because ….
A. they had been maltreated by their stepmother
B. they had been treated well by their stepmother
C. they wanted to leave home
D. they felt very happy
41. What caused the young boy turn into a fawn?
A. He left home into the woods. C. He found an abandoned cottage.
B. He drank something and got cursed. D. He said something bad to his mother.
42. How did the fawn change back to be a young boy?
A. When the King asked for his sister to marry with him.
B. When one of his sister’s tear fell on the fawn.
C. When the king chased the fawn back home.
D. When his sister cried for joy.
43. The text tells us about the queen ….
A. was the most powerful queen in Arabia.
B. was very proud of her beauty and riches.
C. was very careful in deciding whom she would marry.
D. was very satisfied with the food given by the sheiks.
For numbers 44 to 46, choose the best options to complete the text.
44. A. dance B.performances C.stage D.compose
45. A. switch B.Strike C. pull D. close
46. A. soft B. echoing C. audible D. smooth
47. For questions 47, choose the best arrangement of the words to make a good sentence.
Is – but – beautiful – the girl – attitude – bad – has – she – a
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A. 4 – 1 – 2 – 3 – 8 – 7 – 5 – 6 – 9
B. 4 – 1 – 8 – 3 – 2 – 7 – 6 – 5 – 9
C. 4 – 1 – 3 – 2 – 8 – 7 – 9 – 6 – 5
D. 4– 1 – 5 – 8 – 2 – 6 – 7 – 3 – 9
A. 4 – 5 – 7 – 9 – 6 – 10 – 1 – 2 – 3 – 8
B. 4 – 1 – 3 – 9 – 6 – 5 – 7 – 2 – 10 – 8
C. 4 – 7 – 1 – 9 – 6 – 5 – 10 – 2 – 3 – 8
D. 4 – 3 – 1 – 6 – 9 – 10 – 5 – 2 – 7 – 8
49. Arrange the following jumble words to make a good sentence.
Not to use – with – for water – be careful – the pump – except – other liquid
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A. 5 – 4 – 1 – 7 – 2 – 3 – 6
B. 4 – 1 – 5 – 2 – 7 – 6 – 3
C. 7 – 4 – 6 – 5 – 2 –1 – 3
D. 4 – 1 – 7 – 2 – 5 – 3 – 6
50. The sign tells us that vehicles ……
A. can park here
B. can not park here
C. can not enter here
D. can enter
Blog “Islam and English
Filed under: SOAL -SOAL ULANGAN